Category Archives: Press Release

Council agrees motion against plans for Wisbech incinerator

FENLAND DISTRICT COUNCIL

PRESS RELEASE

February 27, 2020

Council agrees motion against plans for Wisbech incinerator

Members of Fenland District Council will be writing to the Energy Secretary making clear its opposition to plans to build an incinerator in Wisbech.

The move comes after councillors almost unanimously backed a motion against the waste facility at a full Council meeting last week.

The motion was put forward by Cllr Steve Tierney, a Wisbech town councillor and Fenland District Council’s Cabinet member responsible for Waste and Recycling (strategic) and Communications.

The motion states that the Council does not support the construction of an incinerator in Wisbech, and will write to Alok Sharma MP, the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, to stress its opposition to the plans.

It also states that the Council “will take any and all legal avenues and processes available to continue to fight on behalf of the residents of Wisbech, the surrounding villages, and Fenland as a whole and to challenge this unwelcome scheme every step of the way”.

Cllr Tierney said: “The district council is not in favour of waste being tackled through incineration and we will do everything within our legal power to fight these toxic plans. We need to raise awareness of these plans so people understand the full implications, and make our voices heard.

“The 50 megawatt plant would be positioned in Algores Way, close to the Thomas Clarkson Academy, and there are fears it could impact air pollution, health and congestion. With a 95-metre high chimney it would also dominate the skyline and be visible for miles.”

The scale of the proposed development is such that the planning application will be decided by the Secretary of State, rather than by Cambridgeshire County Council.

“It is essential for local people and local councils to make their views known,” added Cllr Tierney. “It is also important that local people see that Fenland District Council understands the strength of public opinion against the incinerator and that it is willing to stand up and be counted in the campaign to try and prevent it ever happening.”

  • A public meeting about the incinerator, organised by Wisbech Town Council, is being held at the Queen Mary Centre in Wisbech on Friday, March 13, at 6pm. The meeting will provide more information about the proposals and seeks to unite those opposing its development. There will also be speakers, including Steve Barclay MP.
  • A copy of the motion agreed by Fenland District Council can be viewed at: https://www.fenland.gov.uk/localgov/documents/s5684/Motion.pdf

Golden Age Fair a hit with older residents

FENLAND DISTRICT COUNCIL

PRESS RELEASE

February 24, 2020

Golden Age Fair a hit with older residents

Fenland District Council’s first Golden Age Fair of 2020 was a huge success, showcasing the various services available to over 60’s in Fenland.

On Tuesday, February 11, residents from across the district braved the cold to visit the event at Walsoken Village Hall with 22 partner organisations also in attendance to provide advice, help and assistance to the older generations in Fenland.

A vast selection of services were available at the event with Freedom Leisure offering health checks and service information, Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Against Scams Partnership providing scam avoidance advice and Careline offering a range of guidance including financial safety advice.

Elsewhere at the event, Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service were exchanging electric blankets and offering fire safety advice, Everyone Health provided fitness MOTs, Peterborough Environment City Trust gave energy information while the Alzheimer’s Society offered benefits guidance and referrals.

Cllr Susan Wallwork, the Council’s Portfolio Holder for Communities, said: “The feedback we received from visitors on the day was once again fantastic; everyone who completed a feedback form felt that the event was either good or very good and all respondents indicated they would recommend the fair to others.”

She added: “The Golden Age events have long been a popular staple in our yearly calendar and the advice, support and sense of community at these events is invaluable to the older generations. I encourage everyone to look out for an upcoming Golden Age event near you.”

The event was the first of four Golden Age Fairs that will be held across Fenland this year and preparation for the next event is currently underway. More information on the next Golden Age Fair will be announced later in the month.

Police & Crime Panel – Press Release

PRESS STATEMENT – NOW RELEASED

Members of the Cambridgeshire Police and Crime Panel have voted to appoint Councillor Ray Bisby to the role of acting Police and Crime Commissioner.

An extraordinary meeting of the panel took place today (Wednesday 27 November 2019) at Peterborough Town Hall, to appoint an acting Police and Crime Commissioner. It followed the resignation of Jason Ablewhite as Police and Crime Commissioner on Monday 11 November 2019.

The Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 requires Police and Crime Panels to appoint an acting commissioner when there is a vacancy that will not be filled by an election.

Edward Leigh, the independent co-opted Chairman of the Cambridgeshire Police and Crime Panel, said: “We wish Councillor Bisby well in this new role and look forward to working with him over the next five months.

“We will support Councillor Bisby in stepping up to this role and leading the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner until an election is held in May 2020. The role of the Police and Crime Panel is to constructively challenge and scrutinise the Police and Crime Commissioner and we will continue to do this going forward.”

Surplus Land

Surplus Land

Wisbech Park Lighting Upgrade

Wisbech Park Lighting Upgrade

Wisbech play area improvements

FENLAND DISTRICT COUNCIL
PRESS RELEASE
December 10, 2018

Wisbech play area improvements

Children and families in Wisbech are benefitting from new play equipment following more than £30,000 of investment in three of the town’s play areas.

Fenland District Council has delivered a number of improvements in Wisbech Park, and play areas in Jasmin Close and Burcroft Road, with new equipment installed to offer more activities for a wider range of children to enjoy.

The programme of works was developed in collaboration with Wisbech Town Council and funded by Section 106 monies given to Fenland as part of planning agreements.

The improvements include a new play frame at Jasmin Close play area, a new see-saw and swing at Burcroft Road play area and a new zip wire, play equipment and back board for the Multi-Use Games Area (MUGA) at Wisbech Park.

Cllr Peter Murphy, Fenland District Council’s Portfolio Holder for Parks and Open Spaces,said: “The Section 106 funding allows something to be given back to the local community
and provides some great additions to the existing play facilities in the area. I hope children enjoy playing with them for years to come.”

A Wisbech Town Council spokesman said: “The Town Council is really pleased to see these improvements to the play area provision in various areas of the town; they meet an identified
need. This situation has been achieved as result of a positive collaborative approach involving the District Council and the Town Council.

The Town Council hopes that the improved and new play facilities will be enjoyed and that there will be further opportunities for such partnership working between the two councils in the future.

A Brief Account of Fenland

Public consultation helps shape Wisbech transport schemes

Public consultation helps shape Wisbech transport schemes

Proposals for a new Wisbech access road have been amended following feedback from the public to ensure the scheme does not jeopardise prospects to re-open Wisbech Rail.

The Southern Access Road scheme, which would link New Bridge Lane and Boleness Road, is one of a number of transport improvement projects in the Wisbech Access Strategy, which was developed to address congestion and accident blackspots, while increasing road capacity and supporting much-needed housing and job growth.

A series of public consultation events last November showed support for the overall programme of schemes, but there was concern the Southern Access Road would negatively impact the railway project. Objectors and local representatives said the road would cut through the March to Wisbech railway line and prevent the re-opening of a railway station in Wisbech town centre.

Now Fenland District Council, Cambridgeshire County Council and Wisbech Town Council are proposing a phased approach to the road, to take the railway line into account and ensure any decisions taken now will not prevent any future delivery of rail.

The phased approach involves designing a new roundabout on the A47 to provide access into south Wisbech so that if railway studies conclude that the preferred location for the station is north of New Bridge Lane there will still be access into the South Wisbech Development area. If the preferred station location is determined to be south of New Bridge Lane, New Bridge Lane could be reconnected.

The amended approach would allow the Wisbech Rail study to conclude the station location without any impact from the Wisbech Access Strategy, and enable the plan to proceed within government-specified funding timescales.

Fenland District Council along with the County Council and the former Greater Cambridge Greater Peterborough Local Enterprise Partnership (GCGP LEP), now The Business Board, successfully bid for funds from the Government’s Growth Fund to develop the transport schemes and £10.5 million to implement them – and the funding has to be spent implementing the first package of schemes by 2021.

The two councils are also proposing to amend the original short-term package of schemes, which, if approved by the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority, could secure an additional £10.5 million of funding from the Combined Authority.

A scheme to relocate the A47/Elm High Road roundabout further east has been brought forward from the medium-term package of schemes (being delivered by 2026) to the short-term package (to be delivered by 2021).

Although this part of the project will require more development and further public consultation with the affected communities of Cambridgeshire and Norfolk, bringing it forward means the smaller improvement scheme at Elm High Road/A47 will no longer be required, resulting in money being saved. Completing the project sooner will also mean inflation savings and transport benefits will be felt more quickly.

 

The revised preferred package of short-term schemes now consists of (refer to attached map):

  • New Bridge Lane/Cromwell Road signals
  • Southern Access Road Phased Approach – development of new A47 roundabout
  • Elm High Road/Weasenham Lane roundabout
  • A47 / Broadend Road Roundabout
  • Relocation of A47/Elm High Road roundabout, with further development and delivery towards the end of the short term package (subject to funding approval)

The phased Southern Access Road approach, and the new package of short-term schemes, will now be taken to the County Council’s Economy and Environment Committee, Fenland District Council’s Cabinet and Wisbech Town Council later this month to seek approval to recommend these schemes to the CPCA and The Business Board.

These important transport enhancements are a partnership approach which has not only support from the Wisbech, Fenland and Cambridgeshire councils but also the Borough Council of King’s Lynn and West Norfolk along with Norfolk County Council due to the location of the town’s infrastructure and communities straddling the county border.

A Wisbech Access Strategy spokesperson said: “The local community feedback has helped shape the future of transport in Wisbech to ensure both road and rail proposals support each other and that the important government funding for the Wisbech Access Strategy is not jeopardised.

“These essential improvements to the infrastructure of Wisbech will enable the much needed housing and economic growth for this area of North Cambridgeshire. It also demonstrates the effective partnership approach across all tiers of Local Government and the important role the Greater Cambridge Greater Peterborough Local Enterprise Partnership and the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority have played with funding support.”

The spokesperson added: “The Wisbech Access Strategy has been tested to make sure it offers the best solution to address existing transport problems in and around the town of Wisbech.  Local people were very clear about the need to protect the Wisbech Rail project, as a result the plans were amended after listening to the consultation responses.  The improvement schemes will encourage growth and regeneration, improve accessibility, and help support the delivery of more than 3,500 new homes and 2,500 new jobs for the Capital of the Fens.”

The outline scheme design drawings along with detailed reports for each location, and the process followed can be found on Fenland District Council website at: http://fenland.gov.uk/wisbechaccess

Extra funding to support vulnerable residents

FENLAND DISTRICT COUNCIL

PRESS RELEASE

December 13, 2017

Extra funding to support vulnerable residents

More disabled people living in Fenland will be able to get help they need to continue living in their own homes thanks to almost £84,000 of additional Government funding.

Fenland District Council has received an extra £83,600 of Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) funding to help people make adaptations to their homes and live independently for longer.

The funding tops up the district’s 2017/18 DFG allocation of £944,000 which has been spent making more than 100 households more accessible since April. The extra cash means other people will be able to get the support they need now rather than have to wait until next year when the 2018/19 funding becomes available.

The funding provides grants to disabled people and their families to help them make changes to their homes. Adaptations could include widening doors and installing ramps and handrails to improving access to rooms and facilities with a stair lift or downstairs bathroom. It could also adapt heating or light controls to make them easier to use.

Councillor Will Sutton, Fenland District Council’s Cabinet member responsible for building communities, said he was pleased the needs of Fenland’s more vulnerable residents were considered when the additional DFG funding was allocated.

Neighbouring authority Cambridge City Council was awarded £66,000 of extra funding, with South Cambs District Council receiving £61,000 and East Cambs District Council £51,000.

“This extra funding means we can help more residents get the help they need to live independently and safely in their own homes and also get help more quickly,” said Cllr Sutton. “Enabling people to stay in their own homes for as long as they want and are able to do so is not only better for them, but it also reduces the pressure on our healthcare services.”

Wisbech rogue trader sentenced

News from Cambridgeshire County Council

Wisbech rogue trader sentenced

Christopher Ferreria, 42, of Poppy Mews, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire was given a financial penalty today (Wednesday 29 November) at Peterborough Magistrates Court.

Ferreria pleaded guilty to three charges under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations following an investigation by Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Trading Standards.

He repeatedly failed to attend the work, failed to complete the work, he took payment for work which was not delivered in the timescales agreed and failed to repay his victims for some or any of the deposit paid for the work with reasonable promptness.

Ferreria, as CB Property Maintenance, took £3,350 from three victims for home improvement work he promised. One victim was a single parent and wanted to make a small improvement to the family home by dividing a room with double doors, another cashed in their work pension for some sewer work and the final victim wanted to make improvements to their utility room.

During the hearing the magistrates took into account the compelling victims statements and felt Ferreria became ‘dishonest over a period of time’. He was ordered to pay £1,100 of compensation and £700 costs. The rest of the money has been promised to be paid back to the victims by Ferreria through outstanding civil court actions.

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough’s Head of Trading Standards Peter Gell said: “In all of these cases the victims wanted to make home improvements and were lied to by Ferreria.

“The victims have had to find new traders not only to complete the work, but correct some of the work done and this has caused much embarrassment to them. In one case, the victims missed out on seeing their grandchildren in Cornwall as they didn’t have the money to get the work done and go on holiday.

“We will continue to work with our partners to keep the people of Cambridgeshire safe and we won’t tolerate rogue trading in our county.”