Police Enhance Access Line
Cambridgeshire Police have a service for people who have difficulties with communication and who may benefit from additional support when contacting the police. You will need to pre-register for this service, which provides direct access to a highly trained police call taker if you ever need to contact Cambridgeshire Constabulary.
Who is eligible?
- People who have a disability or illness that affects their ability to hold a telephone for long periods of time, such as arthritis
- People who have a condition that affects their behaviour or memory, such as Alzheimer’s disease
- People who become easily confused or agitated due to their illness, which sometimes can be aggravated by stressful or pro-longed situations, such as Parkinson’s disease
- People whose ability to communicate effectively is hindered by the symptoms of a medical condition or as a result of an injury, such as a stroke or brain injury
- People can register via the website or at any Cambridgeshire Police Station. Any officer or PCSO can register you too.
How to use it
People who have difficulties using the telephone can register to use the service. Once registered, you will be issued with a special telephone number to use when contacting the police for general, non-emergency queries.
Once registered, anyone calling the number will be connected directly to a specially trained police call taker. This can reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to an operator, helping those who suffer pain and discomfort when holding a telephone.
Using this dedicated service may also reduce confusion or agitation, helping more effective communication and because you have already registered your details, the police operator will be aware you suffer from a disability or illness.
The supporting information held about registered users, such as details of next of kin, may be useful in other circumstances. For example, if there is concern for your welfare, we may use the information to contact a relative on your behalf.
When is it available?
The Police Enhanced Access Line is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The line is for non-emergency use only, with the aim that calls are answered promptly. For emergency calls, always dial 999.